Monday, May 12, 2003

As many problems as I have with Neitzsche's existential philosophy being an overwhelming drive to materialism, what with his apostasy of the Christian god, "God is dead.", I refuse to be so quick to dismiss his entire philosophy, as I've learned much from him. He is a great thinker and a brilliant rhetor. One should think that I'd be outrageously offended by Nietzsche's renunciation of Christ, but spend a day with the Sophists in my Rhetoric classes, and you'll thank Nietzsche for his politeness. No, Nietzsche can pick on God all he wants, for Christ will be redeemed one day. But where's the redemption for the little girls?

"The third sex.--- 'A small man is a paradox but still a man; but small females seem to me to belong to another sex than tall women,' said an old dancing master." (The Gay Science, Nietzsche)

And yet another great thinker says...

"Greatness of soul implies greatness, as beauty implies a good-sized body, and small people may be neat and well-proportioned but cannot be beautiful." (Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle)

Who am I to speak up against two mighty philosophers? I can only cross my arms and mutter, "Nietzsche and Aristotle, go pick on someone your own size." Hmph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home