Friday, May 13, 2005

Writing in form: a villanelle

Love Song

He couldn't see that we were through,
Shut his ears to what I had said.
(I might as well have loved a shoe.)

Poor lad -- loved me with all he knew,
Until his face swelled blue and red.
He couldn't see that we were through.

He thought to impress with bold pursuit,
But thick as leather was his head.
(I might as well have loved a shoe.)

Sent goodies by the box-load too,
And love-sick letters now and then.
He couldn't see that we were through.

If only our words were not so few,
My dulling heart would not have fled!
(I might as well have loved a shoe.)

He held to the cause, stoic and true,
But we should have parted ways instead.
He couldn't see that we were through.
(I might as well have loved a shoe.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home